Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Brush Fires

We have 2 brush fires going here near Wilmington. One in Dare County and other up in Holly Shelter in the game reserve. Every morning when I go out to relax on the back porch and drink my coffee before I start my day I can smell a hint of smoke. Makes me sad to know that the land is burning and its not been out out. Dare Cty has been burning for a few months and Holly Shelter about 7 weeks. All of the animals that have been displaced or killed saddens me. Well yesterday I could as usual smell smoke- but within a half hour a thick fog-like cloud moved in. NOPE- not fog but smoke. It was so thick I could barely make out the neighbors house. I am not exaggerating even a little. The smell was suffocating. All 3 of left at 8 and we took Grace to day camp and we went to the beach in hopes of no smoke. It was strange driving let me tell you- felt like it should be cold and damp out- but it was warm and smelly!

The beach was nice and really warm for being so early. Within and hour or so you could see off in the distance that the view was disappearing and the beach was looking hazy. Then the smell started to come- Thankfully our meter was almost out and we headed home. I can't imagine how long that cloud hung over the area. Our home was clear and sunshine when we got back.

My theory is that the fire was going out and it was smoldering- hence the thick smoke. Just home the fires go out soon.

We are going to have a heat wave for a few days with high humidity- almost up to 100 degrees again. ICK is all I can say. We all tend to stay inside on those days. You heat up very fast and its not worth the exhaustion you feel.

Looking forward to the weekend!

No comments: